play jump eat!
Kelly had a vision a year ago to get people from all walks of life to jump on a bed all within their own environments. She then got a vision to dress different "barren, winter" trees in different brilliant fabrics. She then got a vision to fill a small fishing boat with carrots & cabbage, with a local fishermen sitting among the "catch". She knew she had to do it, but how? The result is a series of photo shoots, with accomplished, local Cape Town photographers, Inge Prins, Charley Pollard, Antonia Steyn & Saul Wainwright. The PLAY JUMP EAT! team have shot over 30 of these images all over Cape Town, resulting in a series of limited edition prints, which they are now selling & willl donate a percentage of their profits to the Tertia Kindo Arts Project, a children's dance school out of Ocean View; a "previously disadvantaged" neighborhood in Cape Town.
The entire series can be divided into 2 different "chapters", if you will, into what Kelly is calling the "BED JUMP" series, & the "CAPE COUTURE" series. Please take a look at our on-line gallery at: THE IMAGES . All prints are A2-sized on archival paper, & are for sale off of the website. Just shoot us an email with your order.
Some examples of some of the specific shoots include the following:
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu jumping on a bed in his boardroom - see the image
- a model standing next to a tree in Cape Town's Company's Gardens covered in the same fabric as the dress she is wearing
- a large woman from Khayelitsha standing with her back to the camera under a shower in a barren field on Red Hill, wearing nothing but a white shower cap & white gumboots - see the image
- One of South Africa's premier bands, Freshlyground, jumping on a bed atop Signal Hill a Cape Town landmark - see the image
- a fisherman sitting in his boat in Kalk Bay Harbor filled, not with fish, but with fresh produce - see the image
Though different in their contexts, their similarity lies in the following themes:
beauty joy juxtaposition play and abundance